Friday, June 26, 2009

Essaouiria Gnaoua Music Festival...Finally




I am finally on the way, 9 years later to this festival. there were many near cancellations and obstacles but I can happily report that we are heading out with a car load of ESL teachers, a Moroccan husband and a gluten free peach cobbler (random, I know). Very excited to meet the Moroccan crew there already waiting in the apartment we have rented together. We should be there tonight if all goes well.

There are some days when I wake up and I miss home so badly and feel so weirded out by the dull realization that this is now my home. These are transitional times for me. Today, however, is not one of those days. my previous life merely feels like the preparation for this one today. I am so happy to be here, to be realizing this dream of attending this festival and going with great company and high spirits. It has been 5 years since I last visited Essaouiria and I can't wait to see it again although this time it will be transformed by half a million concert goers! And by the way i have never had access to such abundant amounts of really good free music as there is here in Morocco (except of course when i am hanging out with my uncles and the lot). It is truly staggering the amount of free concerts that started in April and will continue all summer.

I will be sure to update on the festival when I return. I wish you a magical weekend!

No comments: